Dr. Douglas Pohl offers a full range of general dentistry services to keep you and your family's smile healthy. Whether you need treatment for inflamed gums or just an annual check-up, he can lay the groundwork for long-term oral health. Regular dental care can allow you to avoid preventable problems and receive early diagnoses for issues that are harder to predict.
Dr. Pohl has spent more than three decades focused on providing state-of-the-art general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry. Call to schedule an appointment at our Fort Walton Beach, FL, office.
The Importance of General Dentistry
Where restorative dentistry addresses damaged or missing teeth and cosmetic procedures enhance the appearance of your smile, general dentistry focuses on health maintenance. Preventive care, biannual checkups, and treatment for periodontal disease are some of the most common examples.
If you aren't in pain and there isn't a specific reason to visit the dentist, it may be tempting to avoid scheduling appointments altogether. However, regular preventive care is an essential part of keeping your smile healthy. Furthermore, it can save you money in the long run: the fewer appointments you need for expensive or repeated procedures, the less you will need to spend on dental care as a whole.
Benefits of Regular Check-Ups
With regular visits to the dentist, patients can:
- Relieve pain
- Avoid more serious dental problems such as tooth loss or gum disease
- Ensure they are properly taking care of their teeth and gums
- Learn about trouble areas that are invisible to the naked eye
- Avoid costly, preventable restorative dental services
- Receive recommendations to improve their overall health
During these examinations, Dr. Pohl and his team will clean your teeth, identify areas of potential problems, discuss recommendations for concerns such as tooth decay or damage, and potentially take digital x-ray images. We also use the VELscopeⓇ oral cancer screening tool to detect possible problem areas that we feel should be evaluated by an oncologist.
If you report any pain or unusual tooth or gum sensations, we may schedule an additional follow-up appointment to determine the cause. Our goal is to diagnose problems efficiently and accurately and offer prompt, reliable treatment suggestions.
General Dentistry Services Offered
Dr. Pohl offers a full range of general dentistry services, including:
- Preventive Dentistry: Dr. Pohl recommends check-ups, exams, and cleanings every six months or so in order to keep your smile healthy and keep an eye on possible problems. We will also take routine x-rays and oral cancer screenings.
- Tooth Extractions: Although we value keeping natural teeth whenever possible, this may not always be the most appropriate course of action. If it will prevent damage or decay reaching other parts of your smile, we can perform tooth extractions in-house, including wisdom tooth removal.
- Endodontics: Root canal therapy offers patients relief from the pain of an infected or abscessed tooth. This procedure can also save an otherwise structurally healthy natural tooth from extraction.
- Dental Fillings: If part of the tooth surface or interior has begun to decay, a dental filling can prevent further damage.
- Dental Sealants: Younger and older patients alike can benefit from dental sealants. These plastic barriers protect vulnerable teeth from infection and decay caused by bacteria.
- Sedation Dentistry: If you get anxious about visiting the dentist, sedation dentistry may be able to help. By making it easier to relax in at the office, sedation makes receiving dental care significantly less stressful.
- Emergency Care: If you crack, lose, or develop sharp pains in a tooth, Dr. Pohl offers services even after normal business hours.
Make Sure Your Smile Stays Healthy
Dental care is not just about addressing problems after they happen: good oral health is all about maintenance. To schedule an initial evaluation and cleaning with Dr. Pohl, call us at (850) 243-0800. Self-referrals are welcome, with or without dental insurance.